HOW TO QUICK PICKLE ANY VEGETABLE | KITCHN
|1 pound fresh vegetables, such as cucumbers, carrots, green beans, summer squash, or cherry tomatoes|
|2 sprigs fresh herbs, such as thyme, dill, or rosemary (optional)|
|1 to 2 teaspoons whole spices, such as black peppercorns, coriander, or mustard seeds (optional)|
|1 teaspoon dried herbs or ground spices (optional)|
|2 cloves garlic, smashed or sliced (optional)|
|1 cup vinegar, such as white, apple cider, or rice|
|1 cup water|
|1 tablespoon kosher salt, or 2 teaspoons pickling salt|
|1 tablespoon granulated sugar (optional)|
- Prepare the jars. Wash 2 wide-mouth pint jars, lids, and rings in warm, soapy water and rinse well. Set aside to dry, or dry completely by hand.
- Prepare the vegetables. Wash and dry the vegetables. Peel the carrots. Trim the end of beans. Cut vegetables into desired shapes and sizes.
- Add the flavorings. Divide the herbs, spices, or garlic you are using between the jars.
- Add the vegetables. Pack the vegetables into the jars, making sure there is a 1/2 inch of space from the rim of the jar to the tops of the vegetables. Pack them in as tightly as you can without smashing.
- Make the brine. Place the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar (if using) in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Pour the brine over the vegetables, filling each jar to within 1/2 inch of the top. You might not use all the brine.
- Remove air bubbles. Gently tap the jars against the counter a few times to remove all the air bubbles. Top off with more brine if necessary.
- Seal the jars. Place the lids on the jars and screw on the rings until tight.
- Cool and refrigerate. Let the jars cool to room temperature. Store the pickles in the refrigerator. The pickles will improve with flavor as they age — try to wait at least 48 hours before cracking them open.
SaturatedFatContent 0.2 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 0.0 g, CarbohydrateContent 31.9 g, SugarContent 22.0 g, ServingSize Serves 2, ProteinContent 2.2 g, FatContent 0.6 g, Calories 129 cal, SodiumContent 1126.0 mg, FiberContent 2.6 g, CholesterolContent 0 mg